Developing Pre-reading skills
… a dynamic pre-reading programme.
Your child will enjoy participating in an array of language activities as they continue to build a solid foundation of literacy skills in preparation to becoming an independent reader.
- LaunchPad focuses on the importance of pre-readers acquiring strong phonemic awareness, phonics competency and recognition of high frequency words (Sight Words). These ‘reading readiness’ skills make the pathway to reading much easier for young students.
- Focusing on phonology, LaunchPad students are taught oral and written blending, segmenting of words into individual sounds and phonics.
- LaunchPad develops vocabulary extension, grammatically correct sentence structuring, oral expression and speaking confidence.
- Students are guided through the fundamentals of presenting a picture discussion and other oral expression activities in preparation for confident public presentations.
- Students in LaunchPad learn to recognise frequently used English Language words (sight words) while understanding their meaning and correct use. Sight words are also incorporated into structured handwriting activities.
- LaunchPad’s student WorkBooks engage students to work independently at home in the further development of their automatic access to phonics while practising their handwriting skills.
- Shared reading of entertaining, quality, picture story books engenders a love of reading in students as they listen to, and express, their opinions about stories that are read aloud to them.
- Students’ outcomes are monitored and assessed on a weekly basis to determine their individual readiness for the LiftOff learn-to-read-English programme.
Recording and Reporting
LCentral student TermReports and on-going lesson feedback keep parents informed of their child’s progress throughout the LaunchPad programme.